What support will my child need?

There are lots of charities and organisations supporting families of children with SEND and we've listed many of them here.

Wiltshire Council's Growing Up and Moving On Guide helps young people with SEND consider what they want to do after school and the support that is available to help make those choices. The guide is designed to provide you and your family with information that will help you and your child.

Information in the guide includes:

  • Advice on Independent living
  • Being part of the community - taking part in clubs and activities, volunteering
  • Taking care of health including the support available after 18
  • Where to get local independent help and support

It also provides information on the steps to becoming an adult and the support services you could be eligible for and who to contact for help and advice. The Growing Up and Moving On guide for young people is available online here.

How do I support my child?

Routing for Them - SEND, developed by Solihull Careers Hub, are easy-to-use interactive guides for parents, carers and children to learn about future pathways together and plan their best next steps.

It encourages and supports parental engagement in important careers/futures conversations.

  • The Transition Guide is available online here
  • The Parent Guide is available online here

Sometimes things can be a struggle and at one time or another parents, carers or young people may face a mental health problem and need space to talk or specific support. Please click on the links below from the Key tools to find a variety of services and support in your area.

Key tools